Lucignano: a hidden gem to discover
26 April 2019
The enchanting town of Montepulciano rises up on a hill amongst Val d’Orcia and Val di Chiana. It’s an extraordinary destination that, as you have noticed during your stay, is imbued with art, history, culture and an exquisite gastronomy as well.
If you are enjoying some holiday time in Montepulciano and you fancy to discover its surroundings, our advice is to visit Lucignano: a charming little town about 30 minutes far from Montepulciano, that will win you over with the uniqueness of its monuments, its Medieval atmosphere and its genuine local food.
A hidden Medieval gem that is worth a visit!
Lucignano: history, monuments and many more
Lucignano is a charming hamlet situated among Arezzo, Siena and Perugia. It’s a really ancient place, deeply rooted in Etruscan times, whereas its name comes from Latin.
The name Lucignano derives from Lucio Licinio Locullo, a consul who established in this area a Roman “castrum”, laying the foundations of the actual Lucignano.
Anyway, from an architectural and urban point of view, Lucignano shows all the distinctive traits of a classic late Medieval town. Its historic centre, situated on a relief 400 meters above sea level hill, is surrounded by ancient walls, while in the middle a huge fortification stands out.
Despite it is a small town, Lucignano offers many attractions: for instance, San Biagio, San Francesco and San Giuseppe’s churches, a public museum, the Convent of the Capuchin Friars, and the Sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Querce, just outside the city walls.
What to do in Lucignano: main events throughout the year
Throughout the year there are several events as festivals, fairs and historical reenactments. So, if you are planning to visit Lucignano, below you will find a list of some events that take place every year. Enjoy!
Eccone elencati alcuni:
- Festival of Colours and Flavours: a colourful and lively festival that takes place every year on the first Sunday of April. Here, local farmers display their plants and flowers, beside a good choice of food stalls;
- Flowers festival: flower farming is a well established business in this area, so don’t miss the Flowers Festival. When: on the first Sunday of May;
- Marching Bands Meeting: it takes place on the first Sunday of May. Several Marching Bands coming from neighbouring towns meet up in Lucignano for a musical event;
- The “Maggiolata” (May Feast): of course it takes place in May. It’s a competition among the 4 main districts of Lucignano: flower-covered parade floats pass by the main roads. At the end, a panel of judges proclaim the winner and a quaint “flowers battle” takes place.
- Cammin Mangiando: this festival takes place every year on the third Sunday of June. You will find several food stalls in different areas of Lucignano. A good opportunity to treat yourself with some genuine local food and have a walk in the Medieval old town.
- Memorie del Passato (Memories from the Past): an historical reenactment that takes place every year on the last Sunday of September.
- Fiera del Ceppo: it’s a local market displaying local products, wines, foods and gift ideas. When: on Christmas Eve.